There's no such thing as a . . . (6.10.17)
What a brilliant start to the week. Thank you to everyone who supported the Macmillan Coffee Afternoon at Sandy Hill Academy. We were once again overwhelmed by your generosity. A fabulous afternoon for a fantastic charity.
In Music this week we enjoyed creating Autumnal music using instruments.
In Maths we have begun our work on addition and subtraction. We have used the part, part, whole method in many different ways and representations to explore the relationship between these two operations. We have used jottings to support our calculations to sums and used the inverse operation to check our work independently. We have also looked at the relationship between known number facts to support us to complete missing number sentences.
On Tuesday we had a special assembly led by Kier about how to stay safe around the building site. We met Kieran the site safety mascot and were told that we would be able to visit the building site at a later point of construction.
In English this week we have continued looking at the story of the Gruffalo. This week we have created a character description using interesting openers and a range of interesting adjectives. We have also looked at the four different sentence types (statement, question, command and exclamation) and discussed how, where and when to use the associated punctuation. We even designed and wrote about a Gruffalo trap!
- Please return any Bedtime Stories permission slips confirming whether you are able to attend the KS1 SATs information meeting.
- Film Club will commence on Monday 9th October.
- Torchlight Carnival slips are to be returned to class.
- Please note the top gate will open for afternoon collection at 2:50pm as of Monday 9th October-please see the letter detailing changes which was sent home on Friday 6th October.
- As of 9.10.17 we will be learning our 2x tables and are on spelling week 5.