Religious Education 2019-2020
Why teach RE?
There are many reasons why Religious Education is so important in today's curriculum. Here are just a few of those reasons:
- Religious education provokes challenging questions about the ultimate meaning and purpose of life, beliefs about God, the self and the nature of reality, issues of right and wrong and what it means to be human.
- It develops pupils’ knowledge and understanding of Christianity, other principal religions, other religious traditions and other world views that offer answers to questions such as these.
- It enhances pupils’ awareness and understanding of religions and beliefs, teachings, practices and forms of expression, as well as of the influence of religion on individuals, families, communities and cultures.
- It enables pupils to develop respect for and sensitivity to others, in particular those whose faiths and beliefs are different from their own.
- It promotes discernment and enables pupils to combat prejudice.
At Sandy Hill Academy we provide Religious Education according to the ‘Religious Education in Cornwall, Agreed Syllabus.’ The link below provides further information on this.
Children are taught Religious Education through literature, music, art, drama, design technology, external visitors and school trips. These varied opportunities enhance spiritual, moral, social and cultural understanding and encourage children to respond and reflect on their own understanding and experiences as well as to the teachings and practices of a variety of different religions studied from Nursery to Year 6.