Harvest Celebrations (20.10.17)
We began the week with a harvest assembly led by Mrs Matthews. A representative from St. Austell food bank talked to us about how the donations we had generously given to the food bank would be used and by whom. We were then presented with a harvest loaf which had been donated to Sandy Hill Academy by our local Tesco. The harvest loaf was shaped like a wheat sheaf and it even had a little field mouse shaped at the bottom of the loaf. We thought it was really clever.
The harvest assembly helped us to reflect on the food we have, how food is harvested from fields in our local community and how if we are able to we should try to support those less fortunate than ourselves.
In English we read the book Chicken Licken. To begin with we completed a 'role on the wall' activity which involved us thinking about the character of Foxy Loxy. We had to distinguish his outward appearance from his inward personality traits. In order To understand the set task better we first completed a similar activity with given words based on our head teacher Miss Bingham. It was an interesting activity to complete with our partners and lead to discussions about ambiguious words such as 'smart.'
In Maths we have continued to work on addition and subtraction using different models and images. We have worked on part/whole, tens frame and working systematically. We later used this knowledge to support us with problem solving.
Wednesday was an exciting day as after school we had our Bedtime Stories evening. Mr Lockett and Miss O'Brien shared a selection of stories with us which had us gripped! After listening to several stories we shared our favourites with our friends whilst enjoying a cold cup of milk and a biscuit.
In Music we continued to look at rhythm and used instruments to play a varity of rhythm she we had selected from the rhythm cards.
- Monday 30th October school begins as normal for Autumn Term 2. There will be individual photos of all children on this day.
- Tuesday 31st October and Wednesday 1st November there is Parent's afternoon. Please book an appointment using eSchools. If you are having problems with accessing your account the office staff will be happy to help you.
- Your child's Nativity lines and costume letter was placed in your child's book bag on Monday 16th October. Please do not hesitate to come and see Miss Bussandri if you have any questions regarding either your child's lines or costume.
- The new dinner menu begins when we return to school on Monday 30th October.
- Next spelling to be tested will be week 7 and times tables x2 (tested on 3.11.17)